Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Journal #2

Irish Dialect

Rules
1. Call everyone thou except the monarch
2. Everything is a story include lots of "Well thens" and "nows"
3. Irish use "lad" and "lass" often regardless of age
4. 'ah' sounds are stretched out
5. 'a' softens almost to an 'ah' sound
6. 'oi' moves more towards a long 'i'
7.'uh' becomes a short 'oo'
8. 'ow' becomes rounded
9. 'l' is always very strongly articulated
10. 'r' has a hard quality to it
11. 'g' is dropped at words ending in 'ing'

Dialect Practice

It was a dark and stormy night in a small town in Ireland. Sean had finally finished a long day of work and was headed home. There was little visibility and the rain seemed to be coming down sideways. Sean got home and checked his mail. Everything seemed normal except for a letter. Curious, Sean opened the letter and saw that it was from an old friend of his named Jack. Jack had sent him the letter saying that he would like to catch up with Sean. The letter said that he would be at the local inn for the next week. Sean hesitantly goes to the inn to meet up with an old friend.

"Lad! I wasn't sure you'd be showin up. Now how have you been?" says Jack with relief.

At first glance Jack was very dirty, and hadn't shaved in several weeks. Sean was beginning to regret his decision. He knew that Jack was having troubles. It wasn't the first time he asked for help. But Sean thought he owed it to Jack because they had been such good friends.

"Hi Jack, well I've been doin alright. What have you been up to?" says Sean. Creating conversation with little interest except to what Jack wants.

"Oh you know, I've been here and there doin what I can to get by," says Jack.

Sean tired and just wanting to get home asks, "What is it that you want lad?"

Jack somewhat upset says, "Nothing, I just wanted to thank you for all the help you've given me and would like to pay you back."

Jack hands Sean the money that he owed him and begins to leave the table. Sean completely stunned apologizes for the way he was acting and thanks Jack for paying him back.

"I never thought you would ever pay me back. How did you get this money lad?" asks Sean curiously.

"Don't worry lad, I didn't do anythin bad. I found a good job. I've been savin money for a while now and have been waitin until I had the money to meet up with you," says Jack.

"Wow lad, I am so very proud of you. Will you be in town for long? I'd like to get a beer with you and catch up. It could be like old times," says Sean.

"No lad, I'm actually leavin tomorrow morning. It's a good thing you came when you did. I didn't want to leave things the way they were between us," says Jack somewhat relieved.

"Oh, well I'm glad you have things figured out. Thanks for seein me. Look me up next time your in town would ya?" asked Sean.

"Oh sure" says Jack looking forward to their next meeting.

Sean returns home and falls asleep that night very easily.



No comments:

Post a Comment